This new trend in health care spending is going to save medicine
Ever purchase something you didn’t need right this instant because it was a great deal? Something you are sure you will use but maybe not right away. A great example is the guy that buys a snowblower on deep discount in June. This is what I call “spaving” and it has the potential to completely reshape your physical future. All you need is a basic understanding of the changing landscape of medicine.
An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure, or so it goes. Preventative care is a topic on the minds of some of the world’s most preeminent decision makers. So much so that the vast majority of states now allow you to see these preventative medicine pros without first seeing your physician. It’s called ‘Direct Access’.
Here is how we “spave” on our health care to improve our movement outlook:
- Seek out a physical medicine pro like a physical therapist, mixer-chiropractor or high level strength coach to examine your strength, endurance, body control, joints and muscles.
- Do they offer a program where you could learn useful exercise, nutrition or injury prevention skills to live your life the way you want?
- Do they offer direct access to their services or do you first need to meet with another physician or provider before you see them?
- In most states, you can consult your preventative medicine pros quickly and easily without a physician’s referral. That’s a huge bonus when you sprain your ankle over the weekend playing pick-up soccer and don’t want to wait 2 weeks to see your physician or go to the ER.
- Once you’ve found your preventative care pro, chat with them about how they can help you spave on your health care.
- How much time will they spend with/how many other patients will they be working with at the same time as you? Anything less than 30 minutes or more than 2 people at a time is not where you want to be.
- Feel better and hurt less. You can stay busy enjoying the activities that you love most.
- If you need a second opinion or a service they don’t provide do they know of reputable folks to direct you toward?
- When the time comes to get a “check-up” or you sprain your ankle playing soccer over the weekend you already have a relationship with the person who will help you get back to playing again!
The more people who take advantage of the preventative medicine pros in our community, the more likely we are to break the grip of one of the most serious opioid addiction crises we’ve ever seen. When aches and pains stop us from moving, we make pain and disability worse. A growing body of research is showing us that proper pain education, promoting movement over medicine, exercise, mobility work, conditioning and manual therapies, is be the future of decreasing aches and pains associated with the active lives more of us are leading.
Stay moving. Motion is the lotion. Stillness is the illness.
Find a #nextgenPT near you for more information.
Dr. Carlos J Berio, PT, DPT, MS, CSCS, CMTPT is a licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy, Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and a Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist. In addition he holds a Master’s Degree in Clinical Exercise Physiology. He has treated high school, collegiate, recreational, and professional athletes of various sports including baseball, softball, football, hockey, tennis, swimming, golf and the martial arts. His experience as a collegiate and semi-professional athlete as well as a professional baseball coach make him a sought after resource among elite level athletes on the field and in the training room. The concept of ‘all the way well’ in his work as a physical therapist and fitness professional is what continues to drive Dr. Berio to be the best movement specialist there is.
Carlos remains active in several sports and is an avid agility training, power lifting and adventure race runner. He is an advocate for his patients, clients and his fellow PT colleagues. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.